$24 million summary judgment for client in trust fund dispute (largely affirmed on appeal)
$5 million trial verdict for client in contract dispute
$3.2 million settlement for client in trade secret/non compete dispute
$850,000 settlement for client in Wage Act dispute
$4.4 million settlement for client in life insurance dispute
$1.75 million settlement for client in disability insurance dispute
Defense settlement of consumer class action against national retailer with net gain by client
Complex multi-million dollar settlement for client in a multi-way intercreditor dispute
Numerous defense verdicts and summary judgments
Sean is a partner and founder of the firm and focuses his practice in complex business litigation with a particular emphasis on insurance coverage, closely held businesses and trust and estate litigation.
Since 1993, although Massachusetts based, Sean has been litigating cases all over the country, from Texas to Minnesota and from California to Maine. He has tried or arbitrated over 25 cases in the state and federal courts of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.
Sean has secured millions of dollars in recoveries for his clients. He regularly advises corporate executives in transition regarding their employment contracts and non-compete obligations.
Sean represents policyholders in disputes with their insurers. While he has substantial experience in a broad range of industries, Sean has spent years representing financial institutions such as State Street Bank and Trust Company, and investment funds such as Tuckerbrook Alternative Investments and NTV Management. Sean has a deep well of experience in real estate and construction disputes and has also represented the owners and operators of many small, closely held companies.
Sean is a regular commentator on legal issues and has published many articles throughout his career. He is the author of Massachusetts Bad Faith Insurance Litigation. The second edition of this book, which was published in March 2020, offers a complete guide to bad faith insurance cases under M.G. L. c. 176D. Sean also authored the Insurer’s Duties to Defend and Indemnify: Massachusetts, a Thomson Reuters Practical Law Commercial Transactions publication that provides a Q&A guide to an insurer’s duties to defend and indemnify claims and losses in Massachusetts under commercial general liability (CGL) policies. Sean is a member of the Trial Law Institute and Diversity Law Institute of the Litigation Counsel of America. He was recently appointed a neutral at AMANDA ADR, which provides mediation and arbitration services.
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers in America© for Insurance law, 2023
- Best Lawyers in America© for Litigation – Trusts and Estates, 2016 to date
- Irish Legal 100 Honoree, 2016
- Martindale Hubbell Preeminent Rating
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer, 2008 to date
- Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers Hearing Officer, 2015 to 2020
- FINRA Dispute Resolution Arbitrator
- O’Connor, Carnathan and Mack, LLC Partner
- Quigley, O’Connor and Carnathan, LLC Partner
- Rubin, Hay & Gould, P.C. Principal
- Hale and Dorr LLP, Junior Partner
- Harvard Law School Ames Fellow
- Lambert Coffin Litigation Associate
- Honorable Paul L. Rudman,
- Maine Supreme Judicial Court
- LL.M., Harvard Law School
- J.D., summa cum laude, University of Maine School of Law
- A.B., magna cum laude, Bowdoin College
- New Hampshire