Obtaining summary judgment against a condominium association for unlawful fines assessed against a unit owner
Persuading a plaintiff’s lawyer to voluntarily dismiss music recording label from a lawsuit by demonstrating that continued prosecution of claim would be unlawful
Obtaining outright dismissal of a lawsuit brought against a respected law firm, including an award of attorneys’ fees in the law firm’s favor for the defense of the case
Successfully defending software developer in $5 million case brought by individual claiming developer engaged in unlawful marketing of its product to third parties who used software for criminal purpose. Case was dismissed at summary judgment with decision affirmed on appeal.
Successfully defending through trial controlling member of medical device company against breach of fiduciary duty claims brought by minority member.
Obtaining numerous favorable resolutions for general contractors and subcontractors in payment and performance–related issues.
Obtaining favorable settlement for real estate broker in dispute with former client concerning commission payments.
Securing prompt dismissal of claims brought against law firm under RICO and other related federal statutes.
Obtaining favorable settlement for former officer of closely-held company for its failure to timely pay wages.
Joe is a trial lawyer with extensive experience representing individuals and businesses in state and federal courts throughout New England. While Joe’s practice encompasses most forms of civil litigation, he has developed a niche focus on business, real estate, and construction matters. Representative matters in each of these areas include:
Real Estate Litigation
- Commercial lease disputes
- Commercial and residential P&S disputes
- Boundary disputes
- Zoning/Planning Board appeals;
- Land covenant disputes (easements, rights of way, etc.)
- Title disputes
- Abutters’ rights
- Condominium governance disputes
- Contract payment disputes
- Mechanics’ liens
- Surety litigation
- Construction defect issues
- Public bidding disputes
- Home Improvement Contractor disputes (G.L. c. 142A)
- Warranty litigation
- Internal shareholder disputes among closely held businesses
- Derivative actions
- Corporate governance matters
- Contract disputes
- Misappropriation of trade secrets
- Wage Act claims
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Fiduciary/Trust litigation
- Minority freeze outs
- Investor fraud
Joe also uses his vast litigation experience to help clients avoid potential litigation. He is a firm believer that utilizing a litigator’s knowledge to focus on risk assessment issues before a dispute arises is an extremely valuable tool that can reduce the frequency or severity of potential litigation. When litigation is necessary, Joe strives to develop a uniquely tailored litigation strategy because no two clients and no two disputes are the same. He approaches each dispute with the goal of obtaining the most advantageous result in a timely and efficient manner.
Honors & Awards
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer
- Voted Massachusetts “Rising Star” attorney
- 2013 to 2016
- O’Connor, Carnathan and Mack, LLC Partner
- Kenney & Sams, P.C. Associate
- Prince Lobel Tye, LLP Associate
- Superior Court of Massachusetts Law Clerk
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D.
- Dartmouth College